Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Just a Wednesday

Except it wasn't. Life has been a little unpredictable lately. The COVID-19 virus has interrupted our lives. The schools have closed down, work has closed down, we are working from home. It is very weird to be doing everything from home and having everyone home. And it isn't like we can go out and do fun things and play with friends. We have to be distant from people so that this virus doesn't spread because the mortality rate is fairly high and we don't want anyone who has health conditions to get it. Anyway, it is all consuming. It started last week and since then things have spiraled. Only drive through windows are open, there is no toilet paper, people (including me and my friend Valerie) wait in line for an hour to get into Costco. Shelves are empty. There is a feeling of unease and anxiety and possibly fear in the air. And yet, our lives are still going on. In order to combat the cabin fever, me and my friend Valerie have been hanging out and letting our kids get together. It is just too hard to stay away from everyone. We went to the park yesterday and the kids had a blast climbing through the dirt and looking for the Leprechaun (yesterday was St. Patricks Day). It was a nice break from the uncertainty that has been plaguing all of us. A couple of weeks ago, we thought nothing of this virus and bought tickets to go to Maui to see Kevin at the end of April. I hope that can happen still, because rumor has it that school will be closed until at least April 20th. I am trying to get the kids all set up to do some home schooling stuff, but it is tough.
This morning, I was asleep in my bed and I felt thunder radiating through our house, it was shaking and it wasn't stopping. In my stupor I woke and realized we were experiencing an earthquake. I shook Brad awake and we ran to the kitchen, as I was about to run down the stairs to get Reese and Jovi, they ran up and by the time they got here it was over. Ace slept through it. It was a 5.9 earthquake and the strangest sensation. I have known living in Utah my whole life that it was a possibility, but I had never experienced it. There wasn't any damage to us or anyone we know. Thank heavens. But the whole week has just felt surreal. I hope it is all just incidental and nothing more comes of all of this. I just wanted to put down my thoughts as they happened. It is so odd that while we are in the midst of these crises, our daily rituals carry on. We do the dishes, eat food, watch TV. We have our creature comforts amid all of the chaos that is creeping in. There were a few aftershocks that were a little nerve-wracking, through all of it, we are fine.
I also have this weird lump on my foot. It came out of nowhere and tomorrow I have to go and get an MRI on it. I am sure it is nothing, but it is just one more thing that is causing a little bit of anxiety.

No comments: