Monday, November 2, 2020

Dealing with my Mom's Addiction Part 3

     The next time my mom ended up in drug rehab I was in 9th grade. She had been struggling for who knows how long. I remember her thinking she was being so sneaky by hiding her pills, but I followed her around and knew many of her hiding spots. Once I remember her being downstairs in what was Shanea’s old room. She had the vacuum down there and was unzipping it where you put the bag in and she was stashing her pill bottles. I found out she would buy bottles of vanilla extract and drink it on the driveway. Once I saw her drinking beer over by the trailer. Every little thing was a major offence in my eyes. I didn’t know that people could drink a beer and be fine because my mom couldn’t. My brother Kevin would bounce back and forth from living with us and moving out, and he was an alcoholic and a major pot smoker. He was always kind and kept it pretty well under wraps. I know that he would hid his bottles though. Our laundry room didn’t have a finished ceiling and he would tuck his bottles up in the nooks and crannies. In the junk room there was always bottles in the vents. I often wondered how many of those bottles were his vs. my mom’s.

               It was the week before Memorial Day. We were getting ready to go on our annual family camping trip to Moab. It was my favorite trip every year! All of my siblings had trailers or tents, we would caravan down to south-east Utah and hike the Fiery Furnace (The Devil’s Onion), Arches, swim in the pool, walk around to all of the quirky shops. Kevin had lived in Moab so he could always take us to new places that we didn’t know about. We were packing up the trailer and the cordless phone rang. I cannot remember if I answered it or if my dad did. But my mom had been arrested for driving under the influence. She was in Centerville and was so smashed that when we got out of the car to get arrested she fell on her face and chipped her two front teeth. I remember running through the front yard, past the pine tree and away from my friends. I think we were all together just messing around skateboarding and talking. I took my boyfriend Tyler aside and told him what was happening. He was so kind to me. I’m sure he hadn’t any experience dealing with a situation like that. It was so devastating and embarrassing. That night I had a nightmare. I dreamed my mom was the wicked witch of the west, had a green face and chipped teeth. It terrified me.

Tyler was coming on the trip to Moab with us. His mom wasn’t overly happy about it, but she let him come. I didn’t even see my mom before we left. My dad must have got her checked into rehab, we decided not to cancel our trip and stay home. I remember Shirley being especially kind to me on that trip. I had never thought that she liked me that much, I am sure now it was less of that and more of her being busy with her own kids. She offered me bottled water, and it was back before it was common place to have cases of water. It really made me feel like she cared. My dad drove us down, Tyler and I rode in the back of the truck and pretty much kissed the entire way down. My poor dad! I’m sure he know exactly what was going on. We had a great trip! It was awesome to get away and not think about it all for a while. When we got back and my mom got out of rehab, she had bought me flowers. They were on the kitchen counter. She was so happy to see me and I was so fucking angry. I had always been easy to win over with gifts and my mom knew it. I walked right past those flowers as she was trying to reach for me and retreated to my bedroom. I had never been disrespectful like that, and I was sure that I was going to be in trouble. I wasn’t. I think finally everyone understood that I wasn’t a tiny child that could be bribed and told it wasn’t ever going to happen again. I knew it was. I wanted to believe her. I still do. But things don’t seem to change. It was then that my perception began to change. I had the utmost faith that she would stop, but deep down I think I knew that this addiction was not going away.

No comments: